Inside the Sulfur Mines

Many of you read the article about the incredible volcano in Indonesia. This video really gets in depth with the sulfur miners who brave the toxic gas inside the volcano to earn a living.

In the comments section, give some final thoughts about how these young men make a living. 2-3 COMPLETE sentences should do it.

Mason's Mustangs 208

19 Comments

1. I think that it is very harsh and cruel way to get sulfur. Especially when you are risking your life just to get 10-15 dollars a day. I would definitely not want that one of a kind risking your life job.

• I think that job is horrible in money,health and how much it’s worth.
      another reason I think it is horrible is because it is used for so much and
      you get paid so little.

2. I agree with Bart. It is unacceptable that they only get 10-15 dollars A DAY!! Just, no. It is so unbelievable that the government hasn’t done something about it!
    Me, personally though, I will never, ever, EVER, do something like that.

3. 1.I think that people should get payed more if they have to mine for sulfur because they are risking breathing in the toxic fumes which is very unhealthy.
    2.I also think that the leader of Indonesia should at least give them gas masks for them to use.
    3.I think that people in Indonesia should stop making people do the mining and they should make machines to to it so that people don’t have to breath in toxic fumes for just 10-15 dollars a day.

4. After watching the video, I think that doing such activities in terrible conditions, with almost no devices or accessories to protect themselves, needs to be attended to. The Government of that country should supply protective devices to these people. If I were looking for a way to supply my family, this job would be an absolute last resort. I see these men coming out of the caves and clouds, choking and seriously sick, risking their lives, and I was close to tears.

• Also, I forgot to mention, these men are paid so little, and risking their lives, as Blake said. It’s monstrous!

5. If I were in charge, I would make it more safe for the workers. They need better equipment like masks. They also need to be paid more. Maybe the workers could learn to use a machine to do the mining.

6. i think it is so nice and loving that they will do this
    for there family i think they shooed at least get a
    big paycheck and akwint meant for the gas and free
    dintell chek ups.

7. I agree with Maisie that It’s nice to try to an help there family. But why do they only get paid $10 or $15! I wish I could fix It for them.. They need money for their families, why can’t the goverment understand that?! It makes me sad.. (Insert frowny emote here)

8. They should get paid more than 10 to 15 dollars. Thats about 1.44 cents per minute. I would not do this for a living.

9. I think they should give more money then just $10-$15 because they are risking there lives to get money and it is only 10 to 15 dollars and if they can’t get more money for that job they can just stop mining for sulfur.

• I completely agree. Risking your life for 10-15 dollars to feed your family is barbaric.

10. I think that it is simply outrageous that to provide for their families, these men have to breathe in toxic fumes every single day for an extremely low wage. Only 10 to 15 dollars! The exact same amount of work can probably double in efficiency using machinery, and not human beings. I was appalled to see the level of gases in the air was forty times the Indonesian government’s maximum level of gas for the working conditions. I would not take this job.

11. 1. I think all people should be treated equally. What I mean is that either the governor should give the people that work at the sulfur mine more money or give them a better job.
    2. I think that the governor should give the sulfur workers better equipment.
    3. I think that the governor is being very cruel and mean to the people at the sulfur mine.

12. I think that the people who go up to the volcano should get WAY more money because their jobs are much harder than any job I can think of. It is a really high risk job and the fact that in the last year 76 people died and they still only get paid $10-15 each day. That’s crazy. There should be a law that these people should get better quality protection at work or people shouldn’t have do to this at all.

13. I think that job is horrible in money,health and how much it’s worth.
    you get paid so little.

14. I think that what the people were doing was crazy. They were risking their lives to go in an active volcano with very toxic gas and only a wet handkerchief to cover the fumes. The amount they get paid is not worth the risk.

15. I would not do the job. I think it is to hard and to dangerous. And in one hard day of dangerous and hard work. I would just try to find a different job.

16. I would not do the job because it’s too dangerous. The toxic fumes are poisonous to breathe in and they are terrible for the workers. I think the government should provide anything the workers need to keep safe and healthy. I also believe that the workers should get paid more than $10-$15 dollars a day because they’re working hard, risking their lives, and the sulfur is in high demand. I would definitely try to find a way to get a different job because this job seems almost like slavery.