The Negro Leagues

In response to not being allowed to play in the Major Leagues, blacks formed their own baseball league, known as the Negro League. Watch the video below about the league and write 3 things you learned in the comments section, in complete sentences.

NOTE: The word Negro is a really outdated word and is not used today, except to describe the NEGRO League. It should not be used to describe a person of color. 

Mason's Mustangs 208

18 Comments

1. I believe that some people like Jackie thought that Baseball was there way out of these small houses and gangs. And I believe that because the fans and the Negro Leage would want to have the fans come to see great talent then rather be a one person show business.

2. A thing I learned was that slaves played baseball I also learned that Moses Walker was the first black to play on a all white major league team. And lastly I learned that there was a black player, the only one to hit a ball out of Yankee stadium.

3. Here are three things that I learned.

Black players were very determined.
    Black people have been playing baseball since they were slaves.
    The first pro night baseball game was in 1930 in Lawrence, Kansas

4. Something that I learned was that Moses Walker was the first person to play on an all white baseball team. that did not last very long because of baseball laws. I also learned that Gibson was the only person to hit the ball out of the stadium. Another thing that I learned was that the first night baseball game was played in 1930 in Lawrence Kansas played by the Chiefs.

5. I learned that slaves played baseball. Gibson hit 84 home runs in a single season and that jazz musicians wanted to be baseball players and baseball players wanted to be jazz musicians.

6. I learned that the slaves played baseball with each other. Another thing I learned is that Moses Walker was the first black male to play on a all white team. The 3rd thing I learned is that in 1930 the first pro baseball night game was played, it was in Lawrence, Kansas.

7. I always thought that Jackie Robinson wast the first African-American to play professional baseball out of the Negro League. I was also surprised about how people traveled just to play baseball. The third and final thing is I learned that Luke Costner was the main portrait of African American baseball.

8. Baseball was very important to colored people. It is was part of their culture. Negro Leagues were unable to join major leagues because they were colored. Baseball was a great opportunity for blacks to show there talent. Whites were very disappointed when Moses Walker joined a major league team because he was colored. Moses was very disappointed when his team banned him because of his color.

This video was an interesting video.

9. I learned that magicians played baceball. I didn’t know that babe ruth the best player of all time played in the negro leagues. I learned that Gibson was a realy good player in the leagues.

10. Here are 3 things I learned. First, baseball was important to blacks because when they were slaves they played baseball together. The night baseball games began in the 1930s to allow workers to see games. Thirdly, jazz and baseball teamed up together because coaches wanted to be jazz players and jazz players wanted to be coaches.

11. African Americans have played baseball since they were slaves. Babe Ruth was the first person to use the screw ball. Gibson was the only person to ever hit a ball out of the Yankee’s stadium.

12. I learned that the Negro Leaguers would endure anything just to play baseball. And also that the slaves played baseball during free time. And that Moses Walker was the first all black major League baseball player.

13. I learned that baseball has been around ever since slavery. 2. People of color had to travel all over the country to play baseball. And Moses was the first Black to play on a all white baseball team.

14. The three things that I learned in this video was that 1. whites use to say “If you allow blacks to play with you then you can’t play with us.”. I also learned that 2. the first professional night baseball game took place in 1930 in Lawrence, Kansas. 3. All the jazz musicians wanted to play baseball, and all the baseball players wanted to be jazz musicians.

15. I didn’t know that Jackie Robinson wasn’t the first African-American to play in professional baseball, I always thought that he was. I also just learned that jazz musicians had always wanted to be baseball players and baseball players always wanted to be jazz musicians. I liked how they also included some facts about Jackie Robinson like how he went to UCLA.

16. Moses Walker was the first known black to play baseball for a white team in the pros. The first professional night baseball game took place in 1930 in Kansas where the the Monarchs played. In 1945 Jackie left Fort Raleigh where he had served in the army to play baseball with the Kansas City Monarchs for only 1 season but then he went to play with Brooklyn Dodgers to be the first black in the Major Leagues.