Civil Rights Museum

I thought that the field trip yesterday was great. In the comments section list EITHER 3 things you learned, observed, or liked about the museum.

COMPLETE SENTENCES please.

Mason's Mustangs 208

18 Comments

1. I really liked that I could see the lunch counter that the Greensboro 4 sat at.
    I enjoyed the part when the tour guide said you could be one of those blank spots.
    I think the best part of all was when she went through the time period of cilil rights I learned a lot!

2. I liked how everything was real, it made me feel like I was there.
    I learned that even costs were cheated on the African-Americans.
    I observed how realistic it go as we got into smaller spaces, just like the African-Americans.

3. I really enjoyed how at the museum they had a wall for us (as in the pink group) to be on! Also I thought it was really cool how the museum was built around the lunch counter. And last but not least I learned alot and really enjoyed the feild trip!

4. Learned that they don’t know were the 4 sat.
    I really liked that there were things from different country, like tank man in Beijing.
    I learned that things like beaches and play grounds were divided into black and white, the beach fences went all the way out to the ocean!

5. A fence on a beach want all the way in to the oceans just to cape the colored away from the whites!

I thought it was cool to see a kkk suit!

And how they built the museum!

6. I liked how they built the museum around the lunch counter where the Greensboro 4 sat. Also, I learned that whites would get a soda for 5 cents and blacks would get soda for 10 cents. Last but not least, I learned that people would switch the signs for the water fountain so they can see what it tastes like.

7. I liked the table that they projected a video on in the lunch counter area.
    I also loved seeing the lunch counter, as it was a important part in history.
    I also enjoyed the screens on the walls behind the counter that showed us a video of what happened there.

8. I learned that at Woolworth, a ham and cheese sandwich, a cherry pie, and a Coke costed ¢70. Also I learned that they used to charge whites ¢5 for a Coke and blacks would be charged ¢6 and then it went up to ¢10. I also learned that the KKK did not like Jews and Catholics.

9. The museum was built around the “sit in” that happened on February 1, 1960. The 4 black people stayed there until the store closed. They came back the next day with more friends. Then they came back the next day with even more friends. This went on for maybe a month.

10. 1. I liked that they had the real lunch counter that the freedom riders sat in.
    2. I liked that they had the museum like a maze.
    3. I liked that the museum had some real life artifacts that were actually used in the 1900’s

11. I really thought the Museum yesterday was very fun and interesting. One thing I that really caught my attention was how there was a soda machine with two sides, but nobody realized it because of the wall between it. I also thought it was interesting how the Museum was built around the lunch counter for the sit in. Another thing that I thought was interesting were the bricks that the university gave with the bullet inside of one brick.

12. I think that the field trip to the museum was very informative and quite interesting. I enjoyed it immensely. I learned new things and reviewed old. One thing that I learned was that they would build walls between train/bus/subway station and that whites would pay five cents and that people of color would pay ten cents. Another thing I learned was that young children switched around the drinking fountain signs to see if the water tasted different. I also heard Mr. Covington say that little children thought the word “Colored” meant the water had been pink or green or any rainbow color. There was also something I learned that added to my knowledge about the “literacy test” that were given people of color, before getting the right to vote. If you got one single question out of twenty wrong (example and exaggerating) you would wait thirty days before you could go back to the voting office and register. The last thing I want to say is that I thought it was very exciting that on the wall with the people who made change happen, there were empty spaces for our faces and achievements. So I really liked the museum. Great field trip!

13. 1. I learned that the KKK were surprisingly anti-jewish and anti-catholic as well as anti-african american.
    2. Woolworth’s sold other things then food.
    3. Room 2128 was the Greensboro Four’s dorm.

14. 1. I thought the literacy test was amazingly harsh and if you got one question wrong you couldn’t try again for another 30 days before you could go back to the booth and register.
    2. That a person named Emmett Till was brutally beaten for allegedly whistling when a white lady was there. And his Mom wanted and had an open casket so the
    world could see what a horrible thing they did.
    3. Last and not least I thought it was cool that the built the whole museum around the lunch counter.
    It was a very good field-trip!

15. I really enjoyed this particular field trip and loved a lot of aspects of the museum, but I have chosen three of my favorite things. They are listed below.

I thought the wall at the end of one gallery was very interesting and unique. The wall was made up of small pictures of fantastic people. For example, Martin Luther King Jr., Jackie Robinson, Nelson Mandela, Rosa Parks and Harriet Tubman’s pictures were on the wall. Also, the museum left some blank spots on the wall for future history-changing people.

I also thought the Coca Cola machine was a nice touch to the museum. I think it symbolizes the bad and unfair treatment African-Americans were given. On one side of the machine, African Americans would pay 10 cents for a drink. On the other side, everyone else would pay 5 cents for a drink.

The Woolworth’s Lunch Counter part of the museum was probably my favorite artifact there. I really thought it was great of the museum to leave the counter just as it was since the Greensboro Four sat and ordered at it. The stools were left at different angles and were torn up, cups and dishes were stacked in the sink, and there were still a few napkins spread across the counter where people had left them. I really felt as if I were there. The screens were also a nice visual. David Richmond, Ezell Blair, Franklin McCain and Joseph McNeil were treated so poorly at the lunch counter!

16. I think that the museum was very cool! I think that it was awesome to see the real museum place where the sit-in took place. I was just so hot and tiered, but it was a really great field trip in all!

17. I learned that they had Coca -Cola machines that were two sided for African Americans and Americans. I learned that the sit-in in Greensboro was on February, 1, 1960. I learned that a 19 year old boy that was African American was crushed by a bulldozer.

18. I liked it because most of the stuff in the museum happend right there.

I learned that the coke machines where 2 sided and it costed 5 cent more for the people with different skin color.

I oberved that at the lunch counter the prices where crazy low.