High School Football Players- Final Thoughts

In the comments section of this post, give 3-4 sentences summarizing your final thoughts about what consequence the two players who targeted the ref should face. Does the fact that they claim the ref was using racial slurs change your punishment? Was this in any way excusable?

Remember that your online voice speaks for you. Make sure that you like what it says.

Mason's Mustangs 208

2 Comments

1. I thought at first that these actions were inexcusable, but racial slurs are more serious and just adds drama to the incident. If it is so that the referee used these slurs against an african-american teamate, my consequences might be lessened. I would punish the coach a bit, have the referee questioned on some kind of local court, and the players would be suspended from school for, maybe a day or two. These actions were unneccesary, but in the case that this man did direct racial slurs at a teamate, they were standing up for there friend. This case is quite complicated due to the fact that there is no real evidence. It is only people and there opinions, which makes the case eligible for Opinions Class.

2. I believe that all of the offenses were inexcusable. I am outraged that in a simple game that happens to be the players’ passion has turned into a referee making offensive racial slurs against players of African-American and Latino race. I think that it is inexcusable for a coach to direct his players to attack someone, I don’t care who did what, it was not OK by any means to attack someone on the field who first of all, did not expect the hit, and did not have any protection whatsoever for the hit. I would probably ban the referee from coming on school property and any of its facilities, I would fire the coach, and I would suspend the players for two weeks, and the players will be banned from coming on or anywhere near the school campus in their time of suspension.